3 Tips To Save Electricity
Nowadays it has become important to pinch every penny we can when it comes to paying our bills. In the age of technology, we find that our electricity bill often comes out as one of the heaviest bills. Some of the best ways to save on your electricity bill include the following 3 little known tips!
1. Up-keeping Your Appliances
The quality of your appliances often degrades after each use which can make them less efficient. The less efficient they are, the more electricity you need to use to get the job done like restarting your dryer in order to dry your laundry load. Therefore, maintaining your appliance is a must-do to help you save on your electricity. You can maintain your appliances by:
- Cleaning them weekly or after each use (cleaning the lint trap, clearing out the dishwasher, or cleaning the AC)
- Make sure appliances with bulbs have the right watts and bulbs
- Be sure you are using the appliance correctly (loading dishing into the dishwasher correctly or using the right microwave setting)
- Putting them in the right location (a thermostat can be effected by direct sunlight and drafts)
The better maintained your appliances are, the better they will perform. You will be surprised how much electricity you can save by keeping your appliances in tip-top shape!
2. Using Cold Water
Speaking of appliances, studies have shown that you can save up to $63 a year when using washing laundry with cold water. The hot water you use to wash clothes AND shower adds up at the end of every month. You can cut the amount of hot water you use by only using cold water for your laundry. Not only will you find that using cold water to wash laundry helps you save on your electricity bill but it also has other benefits. Cold water is known to:
- Not mistreat your clothes’ fabrics
- Maintain elasticity of clothes with elastic bands
- Prevent the growth of bacteria on your clothes and in your washer
- Maintains the shape of your clothes
Overall, there are plenty of good reasons to switch to using cold water when doing laundry. The biggest and best reason is that using cold water can help you save on your electricity bill.
3. Unplugging Standy
Another little-known tip for saving on your electricity bill, is to unplug electronics that are on standby. When an electronic is on standby, it means that the appliance is plugged into a socket, is put on standby mode and is not in use. Putting the electronic on standby can save more money than having them plugged in but not as much than if they are unplugged. The best solution is to plug a safe amount of electronics into a power strip or a smart outlet.
By using a power strip or smart outlet, you can just switch it on when you are using one of the electronics and just switch it off when you’re not using one. You will find that you can save up to 10% on your electricity bill using this method.
Call Christian Brothers AC, Plumbing & Electrical at (623) 201-5066.