One of the most frequently asked questions in our line of work involves what should go down a sink drain. Many times we find homeowners use their sinks almost like they use their trash cans! If you’re not careful, you could put something down that could cause extensive damage to your Plumbing system.
This damage could cost a small fortune in repair and replacements. Likewise, you wouldn’t want to cause a leak that could lead to water damage. Better safe than sorry. To answer this question broadly, there are many things you can do, but also many things you can’t. This is why we’ve put together a list of things that should and shouldn’t go down your drain.
Should or Can put down your Drains
- Lemon and Orange Peels– These can be great when it comes to getting rid of icky drain smells. Put these in with some ice cubes will clean even the dirtiest of garbage disposals.
- Baking Soda and Vinegar- This is an effective and eco-friendly way to clean your drain as well. These substances also don’t hold any dangerous chemicals, which means you and your plumbing are safe.
- Drain Cleaners- Don’t get it mixed up. Drain Cleaners are okay to put down your sink, but only in moderation. If you put too much too frequently, it could damage your pipes.
- Hot Water and Dish Soap- This is okay to go down your drain. You could use hot water and dish soap to clean your drain as well. This could provide you with a more pleasant smell, rather than a sewage smell if needed.
- Essential Oils- If you have these handy, you could send some down the drain. These could work in the same way baking soda and vinegar does. Natural oils can help clean, and ensure a well functioning drain.
Should NOT put down your Drain
- Flushable Kitty Litter- This is a big no-no for multiple reasons. Kitty litter has been known to cause clogs and do damage to septic tanks. Not only this, but if the litter has already been used, you could end up with harmful bacteria in your sink. Never pour used kitty litter down your sink.
- Coffee Grounds- For sink drains, this problem is significant. Our technicians report that this is one of the most common sources of clogs and drain buildup. Be careful not to wash these down your kitchen sink.
- Eggshells- These won’t necessary cause clogs, but they can cause a big mess. Fatty oils will cause the bits of shell to stick to the drain. Be sure to put eggshells in the trash.
- Medication- If enough people wash medication down the drain the water supply in the home can become contaminated. Dispose of them properly. Contact a pharmacy for more details.
- Cotton Balls and Paper Towels- These can cause devastating clogs and other damages. Not to mention the sheer amount of mess they will cause in your plumbing system.
Call Christian Brothers Air Conditioning Plumbing Electrical at (623) 201-5066 to Schedule
If you have any questions, or a pesky clog that you just can’t seem to shake, call Christian Brothers Air Conditioning Plumbing Electrical. We can have a certified expert level technician to your home as soon as possible. With vast amounts of knowledge concerning plumbing repair and outstanding customer service, a Christian Brothers Air Conditioning Plumbing Electrical technician has every tool available to provide you with the best experience possible. Give Christian Brothers Air Conditioning Plumbing Electrical a call at (623) 201-5066. Worried you might have a clogged drain?